Do I Need ATA Certified Translation for My Academic Documents?

International students who have completed college courses in their home country and are now in the process of applying to educational institutions in the United States often discover that they have to get a certified translation for their school transcripts. When they search for academic document translation services they are not sure whether they need a company certified translation or ATA certified translation. Some schools request ATA certified translations while other schools expect certified and notarized translations.

What is an ATA certified translation?
A translation that has been completed by a member of American Translators Association (ATA) and certified is an ATA certified translation. The organization certifies translators for certain language pairs. Some universities in California and other parts of the country require international applicants to seek the assistance of an ATA member for the translation of their foreign transcripts.

How do I know whether I need an ATA certified translation?
If you are an international applicant, you should gather some information about the school’s requirements for foreign language documents. Some schools accept translations completed by official companies. Such educational institutions collaborate with professional translators to deliver academic document translations for their applicants. Other institutions expect students to find their own service providers for ATA certified translations. Such translations are executed by translators who are members of American Translators Association. Yet, certain colleges require certified and notarized translations. This means that the translation is accompanied by the certification plus notary’s acknowledgement. Schools typically have a page on their website for international students. On this page they detail their requirements for international applicants. Individuals who are applying to various schools can look for this page on the organizations’ official website. Those who are unable to find that information online can contact the school’s office of international students and scholars or admissions office. Professionals who work in international admissions usually have that information. They will advise international candidates to get translations that they find acceptable.

Does CACFTI translate and certify academic documents?
Yes. CACFTI has translated many academic documents for international students. Our certified translations have gone to community colleges, graduate schools, and 4-year universities. We can translate documents issued by schools in various parts of the world including Egypt, Japan, Vietnam, Israel, Iran, Poland, Iran, and Romania. We can provide company certified translations as well as ATA certified translations. If you would like your translation to be notarized, please let us know in your email.

How do I get my academic records translated at CACFTI?
Our translators with wide experience in the translation of school transcripts, diplomas, student ID cards, and letters of recommendation for international students are ready to help you get a satisfactory translation. Please email your documents to if you are looking for certified translations for your school related documents. We would appreciate it if you could provide the details so that we know whether the school of your choice expects an ATA certified translation. We look forward to reviewing your academic documents and translating them into English. Please reach out to us with any questions about our academic document translation services. We will do our best to assist you with your translation needs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *